This Piece Has Been Sold
|Don Quixote Original Etching
by Salvador Dali
|Dali Etching Framed and Matted
in Acid-Free Materials
|Signed in the Plate Lower Right|
|Click on Image for Closeup View||Click on Image for Closeup View||Click on Image for Closeup View|
Original etching in sepia ink on thick wove paper by Salvador Dali from the portfolio Five Spanish Portraits. The image is of Don Quixote in armor mounted on a horse. The small figure of Sancho Panza is in the background lower left. Signed in the plate lower right. Reference: Michler and Lopsinger, Dali: Catalogue Raisonne of Etchings and Mixed Media Prints, 1994, 148; Field, The Official Catalog of the Graphic Works of Salvador Dali, 1996, 65-7D, see also p. 236.
The first printing in 1966 included 180 signed and numbered impressions on various papers and inks. This impression, also from 1966, was for the Collector’s Guild. The second edition totalled some 1,900 impressions, according to Michler and Lopsinger’s catalogue. Dali signed his name in the plate for this second, restrike printing to distinguish it from the first printing. Second editions can also be called restrikes.
– Title: Don Quixote
– Artist: Salvador Dali (Spanish, 1904-1989)
– Date: 1966
– Image size: 6-3/4 inches H x 4-3/4 inches W (17.1 cm x 12.0 cm)
– Sheet size: 15 inches H x 10 inches W (38.1 cm x 25.4 cm)
– Edition size: Approximately 1,900 on this paper. (There were also 180 impressions signed and numbered on different papers, plus a few artists proofs.)
– Frame size: 24 inches H x 20 inches W (61 cm x 50.8 cm)
Framed in a new, distressed-style black frame with gold highlights. Double-matted in tan, acid-free matting. Covered in glass. Not previously framed.