This Piece Has Been Sold
|La danse à la compagne Original
Etching by Pierre-Auguste Renoir
|La danse à la compagne Renoir
Etching Framed and Matted
|Signature Stamp Lower Right
Original soft-ground etching in black ink on creme laid paper by French Impressionist Pierre-Auguste Renoir. Titled La danse à la compagne (The Dance in the Country), this etching by Renoir shows a a couple in country attire, intimately embraced in a dance. The subjects are Renoir’s brother, Edmond Renoir, and his companion, Susan Valadon.
The etching was published in 1890. It is documented in Dr. Joseph G. Stella’s catalogue raisonne of Renoir’s prints titled, The Graphic Work of Renoir, 1975, No. 2. Scholars estimate that between 500-700 impressions were created before the plates were destroyed. Established art galleries ask between $30,000-50,000 for this work framed, when they can obtain one.
– Title: La danse à la compagne (The Dance in the Country)
– Artist: Renoir, Pierre-Auguste (French, 1841-1919)
– Year: Plate 1890
– Reference: Stella 2
– Image size: 8-3/4 inches H x 5-3/8 inches W (22.2 x cm H x 13.6 cm W)
– Sheet size: 12-3/8 inches H x 9-5/8 inches W (31.4 cm H x 24.4 cm W)
– Frame size: 23-5/8 inches H x 20-1/4 inches W (60.0 cm H x 51.4 cm W)
– Signed: A signature stamp by the artist appears in the lower right (Lugt 2137a)
– Condition: Excellent condition; full margins; deckled edges all four sides
The piece is framed in an antiqued European gold molding, off-white linen matte, and complementary gold fillet. All materials are acid free and of archival quality. Finished with UV-resistant acrylic cover.