Original etching, aquatint, and drypoint printed in black ink on wove velin paper by Louis Legrand. Final state of eight states originally published in the 1893. Signed in the plate upper left of the image, just over the woman’s head. Titled in the plate lower left edge of the image.
The title (3e Acte, Scene 8, 4e Tableau de je ne sais quoi) translates to Act 3, Scene 8, Part 4 of Something or Other. Apparently a play, the etching shows a dancer napping near the sea under a thistle as a sailboat floats in the background. Edition size is 100 for this state. The etching was one of 13 that was published in Paris by Gustave Pellet in a portfolio titled Little Ones of Ballet. Reference: Victor Arwas, Louis Legrand: Catalogue Raisonne, 2006, A88 on p. 157.
– Title: Act 3, Scene 8, Part 4 of Something or Other
– Artist: Louis Legrand (French, 1863-1951)
– Year of publication: 1893
– Signature: Signed in the plate upper left
– Image size: 8-5/8 in. H x 14-5/8 in. W (22.0 x 37.0 cm)
– Sheet size: 12-1/4 H inches x 18 inches W (31-1/8 cm x 45.7 cm)
– Frame size: 22 inches H x 25-1/2 inches W (55.9 cm x 64.8 cm)
Framed in an antiqued wood and gold frame, and finished in off-white and black matting. Covered with UV-resistant acrylic cover.
Price is $480 USD. J D Smith Fine Art will provide a Certificate of Authenticity to the buyer. Free shipping on this piece to North America. PPlease call or email if you wish to purchase this interesting work by this important French artist.