This Piece Has Been Sold
|Montmartre 1900 Original
Lithograph by Kees Van Dongen
|Framed and Matted Lithograph
by Kees Van Dongen
|Numbered Using Roman
Numerals in Pen Lower Left
|Signed In Pen By Van
Dongen Lower Right
Original lithograph in colors on wove paper. Hand signed in pen lower right. Numbered in pen 29 of 30 using roman numerals (indicating an artist’s proof) lower left.
Original color lithograph by Kees Van Dongen pulled in 1963. Titled Montmartre 1900, this work evokes the famous belle epoque era of Paris at the turn of the previous century. In this image, a couple is seated at an outdoor cafe in the Montmartre district of Paris, with a waiter attending to them. A second couple with their back to the viewer gazes at the moon. The clear outline of the Sacre Coeur church in the background positively identifies the location being shown.
Edition size was 100 copies from the regular edition in Arabic numbers and 30 copies from the artist’s proof edition using Roman numerals. This is number XXIX of XXX from the artist’s proof series. Documented in Kees Van Dongen: The Graphic Prints, by Jan Juffermans, 2003, p. 75.
– Title: Montmartre 1900
– Artist: Kees Van Dongen (Dutch/French, 1877-1968)
– Year of publication: 1960
– Numbered: 29 of 30 from artists proof series (a regular edition of 100 was also printed)
– Image size: 10-3/4 inches H x 8-5/8 inches W (27.3 cm x 22 cm)
– Sheet size: 16-1/2 H inches x 12-1/5 inches W (42 cm x 32 cm)
– Frame size: 25.25 inches H x 21.25 inches W (64.1 cm x 54 cm)
Framed in gold antiqued frame, and finished in black and white double matting. Covered with UV-resistant acrylic cover.