This Piece Has Been Sold
This original etching on BFK Rives by Marc Chagall is from the portfolio Les Fables La Fontaine. Les Fables La Fontaine is a collection of classic French fables. The image is of an elephant with a 3-tier basket on top full of people. Titled “The Rat and the Elephant”, it illustrates the tale by the same name.
The plates were executed by Chagall between 1927-1930, but the full work was not published until over 20 years later. This etching was finally published in 1952 by Teriade as part of an edition of 200 on BFK Rives watermarked paper. There were other impressions on other papers, with the total edition size being 425 impressions. This etching is signed in the plate and not numbered. Chagall’s signature appears in the lower left. Reference: Patrick Cramer, Marc Chagall: The Illustrated Books, 22.
– Title: The Rat and the Elephant
– Artist: Marc Chagall (Russian/French, 1887-1985)
– Date: Plate executed in 1927-30. Printed in 1952.
– Image size: 11-5/8 inches H x 9-1/2 inches W (29.6 cm x 24.0 cm)
– Sheet size: 15-3/8 inches H x 11-5/8 inches W (39.0 cm x 29.5 cm)
– Edition size: 200 on BFK Rives. (There were additional impressions on other papers totaling 425 impressions for all papers.)
– Frame size: 22-3/4 inches H x 20-1/2 inches W (57.8 cm x 52.1 cm)
Framed in silver frame and double-matted with an off-white and a smoky-black matte. Covered in UV-resistant acrylic. Matte and backing are all acid-free materials.