This Piece Has Been Sold
|Le Vieux Roi Original
Lithograph by Pablo Picasso
|Le Vieux Roi Lithograph by Pablo
Picasso Framed and Matted
|Signed in the Plate in Red Lower Left|
Original lithograph in black ink on off-white Arches paper by 20th Century Modern Art Master Pablo Picasso. Signed in the plate in red lower right in the image. Executed as a transfer lithograph in 1959 in Cannes. Titled “Le Vieux Roi” (The Old King), the image shows the old king gazing at two young maidens. Many art critics see this whimsical image as something of a self-portrait of Picasso himself.
Dated June 1 , 1959 in the plate, this work was published by a communist newspaper in Nice, called Le Patriote. Total edition size is 1,000, all signed in the plate. (There was also an edition of 200 signed and numbered in blue crayon.) The plate was polished out after printing, so no additional impressions could be pulled. Reference, Mourlot, Picasso Lithographs, M317, p. 256, Bloch, Picasso: Catalogue of the printed graphic work, 1904-1967, Vol. 1, 869, p. 194.
– Title: Le Vieux Roi (The Old King)
– Artist: Pablo Picasso (Spanish, 1881-1973)
– Date: 1959
– Edition: 1,000 signed in the plate in red
– Image size: 25-1/2 inches H x 19-1/2 W inches (64.5 cm x 49.5 cm)
– Sheet size: 25-3/4 inches H x 20-1/2 W inches (65.4 cm x 52.0 cm)
– Frame size: 30 inches H x 25 inches W (63.5 cm x 53.3 cm)
Framed in a modern style, gold gallery frame from the 1980’s. Matted in linen with gold fillet and mounted using acid free materials. Covered with new UV-resistant acrylic.